Quinoa and Chickpea Burgers
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
• 1/2 cup white quinoa
• 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
• 2 small slices whole-wheat bread
• 1 14-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 small red chile
• Salt and freshly cracked pepper
• 1 TBSP vegetable oil
• 4 small whole-wheat pitas, for serving
• Salad greens, sliced avocado, sliced tomato and mayo or yogurt, for serving, optional
1. In a saucepan, bring quinoa and broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until all broth has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2. In a food processor, process bread until bread crumbs form. Add chickpeas, quinoa, egg, cilantro, cumin, chile, salt and pepper and process until mixture is finely chopped. Shape mixture into 4 patties. Brush patties with oil and cook over medium-high heat until golden, about 4 minutes per side.
3. Serve patties with pitas and, if desired, greens, avocado, tomato and mayo or yogurt.
PER SERVING: 345 CAL/ 9G FAT (1 G SAT)/ 5G FIBER/ 14G PROTEIN/ 53G CARBS
Courtsey of Health Magazine