Golden Beets with Parlsey and Fregola
• 4 medium golden beets, trimmed
• 1 cup uncooked fregola
• 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
• 1 large garlic clove
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 cups packed fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
• 1/3 cup shelled unsalted pistaachios
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Wrap beets tightly in individual pieces of aluminum foil or on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender (you should be able to pierce them easily with a fork), about 1 hour. Unwrap and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, rub with a paper towel to remove skins, or peel with a paring knife. Cut into quarters.
2. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Cook fregola in boiling water for 12 minutes or according to package directions; drain. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in oil, salt and pepper until well combined.
3. Make pesto: using a sharp Chef's knife, mince garlic with salt, then slide flat side of knife over mixture a few times to create a paste. Place parsley, nuts and cheese in work bowl of a food processor or a heavy-duty blender (such as a Vitamix). Add garlic paste and pulse to combine. With processor running on low, slowly pour in oil until blended.
4. Stir pesto into fregola. Divide fregola among 4 bowls, then top each with 4 beet quarters. Grind some pepper on top, if desired and serve.
315 Calories/ 20g fat (3 sat)/ 5g fiber/ 8g protein/ 30g carbs
Courtsey of Health Magazine