Bacon and Egg Sanwiches with Greens
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
• 4 slices (5 1/4 oz) thick-cut bacon, cut into thin match sticks
• 1 medium yellow onion. halved and thinly sliced
• 6 packed cups chopped, stemmed kale
• 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 large eggs
• 4 multi-grain English muffins, split and toasted
• 1/2 small clove garlic
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring until crisp and browned 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate. Pour off all but 1/2 TBSP of fat and add onion. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring until lightly golden, about 2 minutes longer. Working in batches, add kale; season with pepper. Stir in 1 TBSP water and cook, covered over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until kale is wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Return bacon to skillet.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, warm 1 TBSP oil over medium high heat. Add eggs, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 10 to 30 seconds longer, depending on desired level of runniness.
3. Brush toasted English muffins and remaining oil and rub lightly with cut side of garlic clove. Mound greens on bottom halves of muffins and top each with an egg. Close sandwiches and serve right away.
PER SERVING ( 1 SANDWICH):
478 calories/ 26 g fat/ 3 g fiber/ 26 g protein/ 38 g carbs