• The holiday season is upon us, which means it’s more important than ever that you make time to take care of yourself. This time of year is filled with holiday parties, get-togethers, shopping extravaganzas and traveling. And although this time of year is supposed to make us feel joyful and happy, if we are not intentional about it, it’s easy to become overwhelmed, stressed, and even depressed. If that’s you, read on.
Here’s where exercise comes in: You may feel as though you don’t have the time to be active, but here are just a few reasons why dedicating just 20 minutes a day to being active is worth your time:
• Relieve your stress: Exercising is a great way to relieve stress and give yourself a boost of energy. By engaging in exercise, you can get back to the holiday hustle with clarity, calmness and a sense of accomplishment.
• Burn those extra calories: Around this time of year, it’s easy to consume extra calories due to the festive drinks, desserts and seasonal dishes. But here’s some good news: You can have the cookie or cocktail and maintain your weight, too. Twenty minutes of high-intensity interval training (HIIT), such as the workout listed below, can help you burn off those extra calories.
• Improve you mood: Exercise is a mood enhancer, releasing endorphins that leave you feeling good. Let yourself enjoy the season even more by experiencing the positive feelings that come with a good workout.
• Optimize your productivity: With the demands of the holiday season, it can be easy to let the days get away from you. However, when you become intentional about your actions, you can be in the moment and get the most out of each day. Incorporate exercise into your holiday happenings and you will undoubtedly see a spike in both your productivity and focus. Want to get a jumpstart on your busiest days? Start your morning with 20 minutes of vigorous exercise.
Why wait for January 1 to roll around when you can level up your fitness routine today? This 20-minute total-body blitz, from St. Louis, Brentwood and Clayton, MO personal trainers, can be done anywhere and you don’t need any equipment. The goal of this workout is to push yourself hard throughout the 20 minutes and to complete as many rounds as possible. Set a timer for 20 minutes, rest when you need to, and jump back into the workout when you are ready. Ok, get going!
Air Squats - 20
Push-ups - 20
Mountain Climbers - 20 each leg
Burpees - 20
Lateral Lunges - 20 each leg
Close-grip Push-ups - 20
Inch Worms - 20
Burpees - 20