Roasted Mussles with Almonds and Garlic
adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook
The original recipe called for roasting the mussels for 15 to 20 minutes. This did not open the mussels enough, for me. In the recipe, I mark to keep them in for 25 minutes. That should do the trick! If it doesn’t, put them on the stove over medium-high heat for five or so minutes.
• 5 pounds mussels
• 8-10 garlic cloves, minced (I went with 10, because I love garlic—and I was not on a date)
• 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
• 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
• 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup (3 ounces) whole almonds with skins, toasted and chopped
Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine mussels, garlic, parsley, wine, butter, salt, and pepper in a 6- to 8-quart heavy ovenproof pot. Roast, uncovered, stirring once halfway through roasting, until mussels have opened wide, about 25 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Add almonds and toss to combine.
Courtsey of Gourmet Everyday