Pimento Cheese Toast
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 toasts
• 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved length-wise and cut into 1/2-inch lengths.
• Salt and pepper
• 1 TBSP low-fat mayo
• 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
• 6 oz. shredded sharp yellow Cheddar (about 1 1/2 cups)
• 1 4-oz. jar sliced pimentos, drained
• 4 tsp unsalted butter, softened
• 4 slices 7-grain bread
• 2 TBSP grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Warm oil in a large boiler proof skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Cover and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally; until tender and glossy, 10 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate; let cool slightly. Rinse and dry skillet.
2. Preheat broiler. In a bowl, combine mayo, mustard and chipotle. Stir in cheddar, pimentos and leeks.
3. Spread 1 tsp butter on 1 side of each bread slice. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano; press to adhere. Flip bread; spread with pimento cheese. Place sandwiches in skillet, pimento cheese side up. Cook over medium heat until bottom is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven. Broil until bubbling and browning in spots, about 2 minutes. Serve.
PER SERVING (1 TOAST):
440 calories, 30 g fat, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein, 29 g. carbs