Panther Energy Bars
Created by Leslie Bonci, RD, MPH, LDN, CSSD
Director of Sports Nutrtiion, University of Pittsburg Medical Center
Makes 16 bars (if using ice cube trays, makes 48 bars)
• 1/2 cup honey-roasted peanuts*
• 1/2 cup roasted/salted sunflower seeds
• 1 cup raisins, black, golden or both
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 1 1/2 cups oats, dry
• 2 cups toasted rice cereal
• 1/2 cup whey protein isolate, vanilla (about 2 scoops)
• 1 cup natural peanut butter**
• 1/2 up brown sugar
• 1/2 cup honey
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Coat a 9x13 inch baking pan, or 3 ice cube trays with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine peanuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, oats, cereal, and whey protein in a bowl.
3. Combine peanut butter, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla extract in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH of 1-2 minutes until bubbling. Add to dry ingredients and stir.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly. It may help to spray fingers with cooking spray.
5. Let it sit for one hour until hard. If a pan was used cut into 16 bars. If ice cube trays were used, simply pop out and enjoy.
*Chopped almonds or other nuts can be used instead of peanuts.
**Almond or sunflower butter can be used instead of peanut butter. Ingredient substitutions will change the nutrition information.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 BAR OR 3 ICE CUBE BARS) 296 calories, 8 g protein, 43 g carb, 3 g fiber, 11 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 98 mg sodium, ALSO CONTAINS: iron
Courtsey of IDEA Food and Nutrition