Caramelized Red Onion and Fig Pizza
Yield: 10 inch pizza
• 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
• 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1 whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
• 1/2 cup crumbled feta
• 4 oz. mozzarella, shredded
• 1/2 cup Mission figs, chopped
• 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1. Preheat to oven to 500 degrees F. Place a pizza stone or baking sheet in oven.
2. In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 12 minutes, Add vinegar, salt and pepper; stir and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper to a 10-inch diameter. Remove top sheet of parchment and cover dough evenly with both cheeses, figs, walnuts, half the onions and oregano.
4. Reduce oven to 450 degrees F and transfer pizza (on parchment) to pizza stone or baking sheet. Bake until cheese is golden and crust is crisp, about 12 minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing into 8 wedges and serving.
287 calories/ 13g fat (3g sat)/ 6g fiber/ 9g protein/ 34g carbs
Courtsey of Health Magazine