How to Have a Healthier Thanksgiving
TIP FOR A HEALTHIER THANKSGIVING
You don’t need to eliminate your favorite dishes to make Thanksgiving healthier! Here are a few ways to reduce the sugar, fat, and calories and keep the flavor.
• Try using plain Greek yogurt or fat-free cream cheese instead of sour cream in dip, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole.
• Use fat-free chicken broth to add flavor to stuffing and to baste your turkey.
• Roast sweet potatoes before pureeing (instead of boiling them) to bring out natural sugars and reduce the amount of additional sugar needed (if any at all!)
• Steam your vegetables instead of boiling them to retain more of the vitamins and minerals.
• Use whole-wheat flour instead of regular flour, or whole-wheat bread instead of white bread.
• When baking deserts, use substitutes for sugar and oil, like unsweetened applesauce.